When you walk or drive through your neighborhood, other lawns seem perfectly manicured and entirely weed free. The healthy ones look like beautiful green carpets without a single imperfection. Beyond the visual appeal, these yards convey the following:
- Homeowners’ time, effort and pride
- Desire to create an inviting community
- Ability to master the “secrets” of effective gardening
Your bad back and schedule don’t allow you to get down on knees to pull out all of the weeds ruling your lawn. However, you still want the same lush results, right? Here are some tips to help you achieve the same look as your neighbors’!
Lawn Experts’ Weed Elimination Advice
When you’re a gardener, weeds can work your last nerve. After you spend time planting colorful flowers, weeds can pop up in the middle of a bed and wrap themselves around the bright blooms. If the weeds become entangled, they can even start to cut off the new flowers.
To help you eliminate weeds, here are some tips from our lawn experts:
- When re-sodding an area, remove the existing lawn or plants in this section to decrease the growth of weeds and weed grasses in your new lawn.
- Take the time to pull out all of the weeds at the root level to avoid a reappearance.
- Installation of a healthy lawn is the most promising way to stop weeds in your new grass.
- Mowing your new lawn will help sod come together and prevent weeds from popping up through open areas.
- Avoid using herbicides for 2 months after installing sod and identify the weed first.
Recommendations for Weed Control
If dreaded weeds still turn up, here are recommendations to stop them short in their tracks:
- Trimec is used on all warm-weather grasses to control of broadleaf-type weeds.
- Image and Manage is suggested for Nutsedge.
The following are recommended for Crabgrass control:
- Centipede - Vantage
- St. Augustine – Asulox
- Zoysias – MSMA or Acclaim
- Bermudas – MSMA
Contact Us for Help With Weed Control and Elimination
Working with Superior Sod can help you create a lawn like the ones in these photos. Check them out, and let us know your favorites on our Twitter and Facebook pages. If you have any questions, call Superior Sod & Garden Supplies now.