When you think of pine straw, you may automatically visualize this natural material on a farm. However, the pine needles from trees create an outstanding mulch option for your garden. If you’re unfamiliar with this use and the optimal ways to integrate pine straw into your landscape, here are some tips.
Natural Mulch Benefits
When you want to use an organic material as mulch in your garden, pine straw is a natural choice with multiple advantages. The following are some of the benefits:
- Appealing color and texture
- Compression-resistant material
- Easy distribution
- High nitrogen content
- Insect and rodent protection
- Moisture retention
- Slow decomposition
- Soil temperature regulation
- Weed barrier
When the pine needles eventually break down, they will also add acid to the soil, which helps the following:
You’ll also find that the loosely connected pine needles will remain on otherwise challenging slopes in your garden. This protection is particularly helpful for roots during inclement weather.
Hints for Pine Straw Placement
Once you have your bale of pine straw in the garden, are you wondering how to proceed? Here are some tips:
- Before you begin, pull out weeds, prune, trim and tidy up the area
- Apply a 3-inch layer approximately a foot beyond the bed edge
- Use a rake to polish the look of your pine straw blanket
Contact Us to Order Quality Long-Leaf Pine Straw
Our supplier of top-quality long-leaf pine straw can deliver fresh bales the same day of an order. We also receive 250 to 300 fresh bales every 3 or 4 days. At Superior Sod, a shelter protects up to 600 pine straw bales, so they remain clean and dry.
To use this top-quality mulch for your landscaping, stop by or contact Superior Sod and Garden Supplies today!
During the summer months, when you have outdoor garden parties, you want to create a “wow” factor when visitors arrive. The minute guests land at the bottom of your front steps, they will quickly scan the appearance of your front lawn. Like many aspects of your home that may have started to deteriorate over the years, you may have turned a blind eye to the condition of your lawn.
If you want to convey a genuine “Welcome!” to anyone who visits your home, here are some tips for starting at the ground level with a healthy lawn.
- Create a grand, sweeping entrance: Would you like to create the effect of a grand, sweeping entrance, as visitors walk up to your front door? The secret for creating this type of impact is placing large sections of fresh sod without any interrupting lines. Similar to the open concept, which is popular in the interior of many homes, you want to create sight lines that are free of “clutter.”
- Follow curves framing winding walkways: To soften the look of straight edges, many homeowners favor a gently winding path as their preferred entryway. Cutting healthy sod to follow and frame these curves precisely creates a striking appearance, which will stand out on your block.
- Wrap flower beds and tree bases: If you want to maintain expansive views of your great-looking lawn, your flower beds and trees are probably forming interesting shapes close to your house. For the most dramatic impact, cut new sod in clean lines around these areas to achieve a completely manicured look.
Contact Us for Top-Quality Sod
Like any project, the quality of the materials that you use determines the final results. The name of our company captures our desire to help you achieve the ultimate look at your home. Contact Superior Sod & Garden Supplies, so you can welcome your visitors with a lush-looking lawn now!